Read Books. Do Battle.
Battle of the Books is a fun, academic-based trivia competition that tests students’ book knowledge. Students who participate enhance their literacy skills and read from a variety of book genres. They practice skills, such as identifying setting, character, plot, problem, goal, and resolution and also working with higher level language techniques like summarizing and inferencing.
Each year, TCIS is represented by two teams of 4th/5th grade students. In some cases, 3rd graders are asked to participate, as well. Team members read books from a list of 10 chosen titles, including the current Morning Calm Medal chapter book nominees.
Our students work hard to compete against the other Korean International Schools.
Not only do we have a great time and learn a lot, we have also been very proud
of our success each year.
- 2018-Team 1 placed 3rd; Team 2 did not place
- 2019-Team 1 placed 3rd; Team 2 did not place
- 2020-competition was cancelled due to COVID19
- 2021-(virtual competition)-Team 1: 3rd Place; Team 2: 1st Place
- 2022-(virtual competition)-Team 1: 3rd Place; Team 2: 2nd Place
- 2023-Team 1 did not place; Team 2 placed 1st
Battle of the Books 2023
Morning Calm Books:
New From Here by Kelly Yang
Ben Bee by K.A. Holt
The Girl Who Stole an Elephant by Nizrana Farook
A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
Jinxed by Amy McCulloch
The Unteachables by Gordon Korman
Book Uncle and Me by Uma Krishnaswami
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr
Spark by Sarah Beth Durst